Thursday, September 30, 2010

one hour photo

8 year-old sits
buckled into back
seat
alert/intent
on world past car window, reads
sign fastened to faux brick
on bigbox pharmacy:

[1 Hr - Photo]

don't you think that's a little too long?
(he quips)

I suppose--

too long for the child watching
mother upload photos
instantly

too long for the child begging tiny video clips play (again!) to hear
younger brother laugh (again!) at the sound of
his own laugh/to watch baby sister take steps, snatch at a leaf, grab a toy (again! again!)

what's lost for the lack of paper?
what's gained in time?

I snap photos/upload images/attempt to capture

the moment.

2 comments:

  1. Good one. And kudos to you on this one - I generally dislike poetry - but this post moved along at a nice clip! Nice juxtaposition of time frames (should that be one word?). Like the parentheses and fun grammar tricks here - it all works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this. It says so much with so little and starts with a very real, relatable moment. I admire your daring, too. I haven't attempted a poem since middle school.

    ReplyDelete